Organizational strengthening is a process by which groups fine tune – and in some cases transform – their internal organizational structures in order to ensure effectiveness and success.
These services are conducted with non-profits, public agencies and businesses among others. Discovering the need for organizational strengthening comes from either a strategic planning
process; an internal assessment recognizing internal weaknesses that hinder effectiveness at the
governance and decision making level, the management level, or staff level; the eminent need to restructure in order to move forward; new leadership; and several other related ways.
Strategic Management Consulting offers the following three services relative to organizational strengthening and development:
- Fine-tuning the governance operations and structure
Strategic Management Consulting helps fine-tune the operations of the decision making body in groups by working through several strategies. These include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the governing body (for non-profits, this is the board, for others a steering committee, top management, etc) to understand their respective roles, responsibilities, and oversight functions, resulting in a “board member job description”
- Working with the governing body as a whole to solidify, re-create or rearrange their committee structures in order to ensure results. The committees, and specific duties, are placed in a thorough written description to ensure clarity
- Working with the group to refine their bylaws and /or other governing, policy, and legal
documents such as conflict of interest policies, personnel manuals, and others.
These are then reflected as documents and included in a manual so that all of the members have the same information, and are held accountable for fulfilling their roles.
- B. Recreating legal structures when necessary
Strategic Management Consulting assists groups in finding, creating, developing the best legal and operating structure so that the group can accomplish its mission and results more effectively. Strategic Management Consulting follows the notion that “Form Follows Function”, i.e. first determine the function of the group, then determine the right form.
That way, innovative structures can be explored and implemented, while still complying with legal and fiduciary boundaries. Examples of such collaborations include strategic alliances, coalitions, and others.
- Internal organizational and management coaching
Working with staff is important to help the day-to-day operations of the organization, whether it is a public agency, non-profit, business or other group.
Strategic Management Consulting works with staff in four specific ways:
- Facilitating Process for and implementing structural transformation: Strategic Management Consulting facilitates a process with all levels of staff involved to identify issues and mutually develop solutions to help improve and restructure all aspects of internal operations. The process encourages staff empowerment, brokers resolution of conflicts, and ensures accountability.
In preparation for such work, Strategic Management Consulting collects information from staff and management on goals, strengths, weaknesses, and suggestions for improvement (via interview or email survey). This confidential information is presented as a summary at a facilitated session and used as a starting point for discussion, decisions, and transformation.
- Management Coaching and Mentoring: Strategic Management Consulting offers coaching for boards and staff at the executive and management levels in particular. Coaching includes working one-on-one with management and staff to improve specific skills, implement structural changes, answer management and supervisory questions, and provide general guidance. Organizational and individual assessments are completed to help guide and measure progress of the work.
Strategic Management Consulting has helped coach groups through improvement of staff and executive evaluations, improve staff morale, executive transitions and interim directorship, management changes, referrals to legal, policy and resource development opportunities, and more.
- Staff Retreats and conversations: Strategic Management Consulting facilitates staff retreats for several purposes including structural change, and team building.
- Fundraising planning: Strategic Management Consulting can help put together an effective fundraising plan that includes diversifying the funding base, new resources, and more. Strategic Management Consulting will not write the letters or the grants, nor make the contacts, but will only point the group in the right direction.